Which wiz kid came up with Operation Odyssey Dawn, the formal name for the bombing of Libya?
The sad thing is that they probably spent more effort naming it than figuring out the strategy.
Following are some good quips on that name:
STEPHEN COLBERT: “Odyssey Dawn? That’s not a military operation. That’s a Carnival Cruise ship.”
JON STEWART: “Odyssey Dawn? You really name a combat operation after a Yes album?
DAVID LETTERMAN: “Odyssey Dawn. I believe it’s the first military operation named for a stripper.
“Apparently the White House tossed out a number of perfectly good names
before arriving at ‘Operation Odyssey Dawn’:
10.Operation Nine Months In The Senate Didn’t Prepare Me For This
9. Operation Organizing for Libya
8. Operation Double Standard
7. Operation FINE! I’ll Do Something
6. Operation Enduring Narcissism
5. Operation So That’s What the Red Button Does
4. Operation France Backed Me Into A Corner
3. Operation Start Without Me
2. Operation Unlike Bush Wars This One Is Justified Because Hey Look A Squirrel
1. Operation Aimless Fury”
[[I don’t know the original source for the preceding list. If you know the source, please advise and add an attribution.]]